Best Hawaiian Luaus On Oahu
Best Hawaiian Luaus On Oahu
Celebration! Luaus in Hawaii are how native Hawaiians take part in celebration. And it doesn’t matter what you are celebrating.
Hawaiian Luaus are how we celebrate everything. Birthdays, graduations, promotions, baby showers, or even just to party.
Every Hawaiian Island will claim to have the best or most authentic luau experience. However, some say that if you want to really find the best luau in all of the Hawaiian islands you need to go to the heart of Hawaii.You need to go to Oahu. And if you want to find the best luau on Oahu, you need our help. Hawaii is our home and we have been to a few luaus. We know all about tradition, experience, and what the best entertainment is.
Traditional Luau, Oahu
When talking about a Luau, you need to understand what a Luau is and why it is important to our people culturally.
You might not know this but in ancient Hawaiian tradition, women were not allowed to eat meals with men. They were forced to eat their meals apart. Furthermore, women were not allowed to partake in certain foods.
They believed that certain foods held different spiritual significance and represented different things. These foods were only allowed to be eaten by men because it was taboo for a woman to experience them.
King Kamehameha II was the king that finally removed these outdated religious rules. He broke tradition and ate a meal with women for the first time and celebrated their coming together. This was the first Luau.
That is why Hawaiian luaus are so important to our culture, they represent our first coming together fully as a people.
Now that you understand more about them, what makes a luau so unique?
What is the Best Luau On Oahu?
The first thing that you need to know about the best luau in Honolulu or Oahu, everyone is going to want to experience different things. Some are more excited about the food, some are in it for the entertainment, but most everyone is in it for the delicious tropical drinks.
No matter what you are wanting to experience, the best luau on Oahu needs to have all of these things and more.
Taste of a Luau
Every great luau needs to have incredible food. Nowadays, most luaus will have all sorts of different food. Some dishes will be traditional, and others will be more modern so there is something for everyone to choose from.
Some of the traditional food that you can expect to see is:
- Kalua Pua'a - delicious and tender roasted pig prepared traditionally.
- Laulau - either pork or fish wrapped in cooked taro leaves. Sometimes it is prepared with coconut cream for a sweeter dish.
- Lomi-Lomi Salmon - a side dish of salmon, tomatoes, onions, and scallions served cold or on ice.
- Poke - raw fish, diced and topped with delicious herbs.
- Hawaiian Sweet Bread - a form of sweet bread that is perfectly served with other traditional dishes.
- Sweet Potato - served either roasted or steamed.
- Poi - is a starch-based dish that differs in its consistency. It is mashed until it is either one-finger, two-finger, or three-finger poi. The thinner the consistency the more fingers you need to use to eat it. Poi is very unique and a delicious part of any traditional luau celebration.
- Haupia - a traditional and sweet coconut milk dessert.
The entertainment at any luau is just as important as the food. At an authentic luau on Oahu, you should experience music, dancing, and other fun and authentic Hawaiian activities.
Hula dancers are always a crowd favorite. Experiencing professional dancers performing traditional hula dances is a great part of any luau.
Fire-knife dancing is another exciting part of the best luau on Oahu that the entire family will enjoy. Watch in amazement as you witness professional dancers spinning and twirling swords engulfed in flames.
Depending on different factors our luaus are subject to change. If you want to learn more about what we are currently offering, take a look at our Oahu luau packages.